The Ultimate Guide to Moving on a Rainy Day
It is not desirable to have rain on moving day. It will give you dirt, mildew, and other challenging issues. With a few exceptions, movers can continue to work while it is pouring. Considering this, there are important ways in which you can deal with heavy rain. However, it is always better to postpone if a major thunderstorm occurs on the day you intend to move out. If you are thinking of moving from Perth to Karratha then you should consider the following:
- If you need to protect your floors, spread towels or moving pads: It should be a top concern to protect your flooring by keeping mud, dirt, and debris off of them. You will need to put out a lot of blankets and moving mats because you will be strolling in and out of the house. This is not just for the sake of the flooring, but also for your own safety.
Having towels readily available throughout your move can make it easier for you and your movers to dry your belongings and yourself. Also, you should replace moist towels with dry ones whenever necessary. Make sure that you provide movers with a door mat so they can clean and dry their shoes before entering your house.
2. Make sure you have many large garbage bags and multiple rolls of plastic wrap: Garbage bags and plastic wraps of good quality can survive mild rain on the walk to and from the moving truck. Movers can use them as an extra layer of protection from the strong winds and rain. You can also use these materials to wrap moving boxes and furniture. Any heavy furniture, especially if it is leather or upholstery, should be covered with plastic or other protective materials. The same is true for appliances and electronics; make sure to wrap them tightly in water-resistant materials.
3. Safeguard your appliances and gadgets: Pay special attention to boxes containing things such as kitchen appliances, laptops, wires, and so on. Make sure the boxes are covered and that the items are in good working order before moving them to your new location. For added safety, cushion the top and bottom of the box with towels or bubble wrap, then stuff everything inside tightly so that it doesn’t move. As previously stated, you should also cover these boxes with plastic or other water-resistant materials.
If you are preparing for a major hurricane, you should use a conformal coating. Conformal coating is a highly developed polymeric film-forming substance that protects circuit boards, components, and other electronic equipment against damaging environmental conditions such as water, thermal shock, static electricity, vibration, and unwanted contamination.
4. Protect beds, pillows, and sofas: If your mattress, pillow, or sofa come into touch with a lot of water, they may become mouldy. Moulds can create typical ailments, such as allergic responses and respiratory issues. Thus, you should remove your mattress’s linens and pillows and wrap them individually. Pillows and linens work well as filler in boxes containing breakable items. Move your mattress inside a mattress bag to help protect it. Additionally, ensure that these specific items have a dry area to lay down inside the moving truck.
5. Make sure your shoes are closed and dry: Of course, you must also consider your safety. Sturdy shoes or boots with non-slip soles are required. Also, keep your shoes dry at all times to avoid accidents and injuries. As for your clothes, wear something that is both warm and water-resistant; rainboots and raincoats are perfect in situations like this. If the trip to your destination will take a long time, bring additional shoes and clothes with you.
6. Unpack the damp boxes before unpacking dry ones to safeguard the contents: As you settle in, unpack the wet boxes first to avoid damp or mouldy contents. After that, make sure to discard the ripped and damaged cardboard from your new house. Remember that having a well-planned move will save you time and energy. As a result, make sure that all of the boxes are lined up or grouped by priority.
7. Periodically stop driving in areas that have severe downpours: Driving during strong storms is never safe, even if you are in a rush and want to get things done as quickly as possible. You should always come to a complete stop if you are facing both severe rain and strong gusts.
Must-have Moving Supplies:
The proper tools and equipment can make the entire moving process easier and quicker. The following are some of the most important supplies you will need to acquire to prepare for your big move:
- Boxes: Make sure you get more than you think you need for emergency purposes. Moreover, collecting boxes of various sizes will guarantee that you have the proper box for any situation.
- Tape: When moving, you should purchase strong-adhesive tape. Typically, this entails selecting a tape with hot melt adhesive or acrylic adhesive. Furthermore, moving packing tape is effective in both hot and cold temperatures.
- Packing paper: Packing paper has been deemed to be even better than bubble wrap for protecting surfaces from chips and fractures. They can also protect your things from dirt and dust.
- Blankets: Bringing blankets will not only assist you in covering your flooring during the rainy season. Furthermore, moving blankets are heavy-duty fabric covers that protect furniture, appliances, and other major possessions.
- Mattress cover: While moving, a mattress cover will protect your mattress from all the unwanted insects, dirt, pollutants and allergens.
- Bubble wraps: Bubble wraps protect fragile or easily breakable objects against scratches, dents, breakage, and any sort of damage caused by excessive vibrations or impact.