A Guide to Storing Your Cardboard Boxes Properly
Planning on storing cardboard boxes for future use? You may want to do more than just let them sit in the garage. Repurposing cardboard boxes is not only great for the environment but also for storage space in case you need more room to store your belongings. To get the most out of these boxes, you need to store them properly. If you don’t, you may come across some issues that can make cardboard boxes more of a hassle than a benefit.
There’s more to storing cardboard boxes than just throwing them to the side and calling it a day. If you want to store these boxes and not have them deteriorate over time, you need to be strategic with your storage solutions. This article will cover everything you need to know about storing your cardboard boxes properly.
5 Steps on keeping your cardboard boxes organised
- Empty the boxes first – Before storing your cardboard boxes, make sure they’re completely empty. Remove any packaging, paper, or any other contents that may hinder you from folding or flattening the boxes. You can choose to repurpose packing materials like packing peanuts and bubble wrap if you don’t want to discard them.
- Flatten the boxes – Flattening cardboard boxes is one of the most space-efficient ways to store them. This allows you to stack multiple boxes together, even if you’re storing them in a limited space.
- Group similarly sized boxes together – This next step is extremely useful for keeping your cardboard boxes organised. After flattening the boxes, group them according to size. Start with the smaller boxes and group the bigger boxes together. This keeps your storage space neatly organised and makes it easier to find the right-sized box whenever you need them.
- Tie up the boxes – Once you’re done with grouping the boxes, make sure to tie them up with a sturdy string or rope. Stacking the boxes isn’t enough to hold them together so you want to tie them up and secure them.
- Check on the boxes occasionally – While there’s no need to check on your cardboard boxes regularly, you do need to monitor them every now and then to make sure they’re still in good condition. Moisture and humidity are two main factors to look out for as these can affect the condition of the boxes. Make sure you’re storing the cardboard boxes in a dry place so they can last as long as possible.
What to avoid when storing your cardboard boxes
While storing your cardboard boxes may seem like a straightforward process, there are a few things you need to look out for. Don’t make the mistake most people make and avoid doing these when storing your cardboard boxes:
- Wasted space – Some people run out of storage space because they don’t fold or flatten their boxes. You’d be surprised as to how many homeowners simply leave their cardboard boxes lying around in the garage. To make things worse, they end up using the boxes as storage for unnecessary items as well. Make it a habit to fold unused cardboard boxes so you don’t end up wasting any space in your home.
- Insects – Many bugs and insects feed on the cardboard materials in boxes which can turn into their nesting ground. To prevent insects from ruining your cardboard boxes, make sure they’re clean and free of any organic materials before storing them. It’s also a good idea to use an insect repellent if you live in an area where plenty of bugs are around.
- Flammable materials – Cardboard boxes are flammable and the last thing you want is to store them alongside any items that can catch fire. Keep them away from flammable sources and make sure the storage area is dry and well-ventilated.
- Storing boxes outdoors – If you plan on storing cardboard boxes outdoors such as in a shed or detached garage, you may want to consider potential sources of damage. Cardboard boxes should typically be stored off the ground. This can be achieved using a few wood planks to make a raised platform can prevent the boxes from water damage.
Need More Ideas for Your Boxes?
Whether you’re storing them for future use or turning them into something else right now, there are plenty of things you can do to extend their life and use. If you’re more looking for more ideas on how to reuse cardboard boxes, check out our blog to find some useful tips and suggestions. And if you have any questions about cardboard boxes, feel free to get in touch with us to find what you need, as expert removalists in Perth we can offer you the necessary advice needed.